Sleep Apnea Treatment in San Juan Capistrano, CA
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder where breathing stops and starts repeatedly. People who suffer from sleep apnea oftentimes snore and feel tired regardless of how many hours they slept the previous night.
There are three common types of sleep apnea, which are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea: The throat muscles relax during sleep causing an obstruction to the airway. This is the most common form of sleep apnea.
- Central sleep apnea: This form of sleep apnea occurs when the brain fails to properly send signals to the muscles responsible for controlling breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome: A combination of obstructive and central sleep apnea, also referred to as treatment-emergent central sleep apnea.
The severity of sleep apnea can vary, and a medical professional can provide an individualized evaluation based on your symptoms.
Symptoms and signs of sleep apnea may include the following:
- Gasping for air while sleeping
- Waking up with a headache
- Fatigue and sleepiness during the day
- Brain fog and lack of focus
- Snoring loudly
- Another person hears your breathing stop while sleeping
- Inability to stay asleep throughout the night
Sleep apnea treatments may include diet or lifestyle changes, losing weight, allergy treatment, or the use of devices during sleep.
Oral Appliances for Sleep Apnea Treatment
A CPAP (continuous positive airway) device is one of the most common treatments for overcoming the problem. However, there are dental devices that work in conjunction with the CPAP device, including a tongue retaining mouthpiece or the MADS (mandibular advancement device).
The MADS piece resembles an orthodontic retainer and fits in your mouth in a way that causes your tongue and lower jaw to move slightly forward. This enables the airway to remain open by preventing the over-relaxation and collapse of the throat muscles.
Conversely, the tongue retaining helps keep the airway open as well. However, rather than attaching to the teeth, it fits snugly around the tongue and prevents it from falling backward, blocking the airway.
San Juan Capistrano, CA Family and Cosmetic Dental Office. Call our friendly staff today.
|Monday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am – 5:00 pm|